Sunday’s sermon emphasized the point that marriage is meant to paint a picture of the Gospel. The ultimate end of marriage is to glorify GOD…to make Him look beautiful and marvelous. Today’s study will focus on the third point of Sunday’s message, Marriage exists for GOD’s glory.
1. As a group, think about and discuss the term “picture”. What is the purpose of a picture? How do we use them? etc…
2. As a group, think of the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, or a beautiful mountain landscape. Discuss how a picture of these things would compare to reality.
3. Our marriages are meant to paint a picture of CHRIST’s love for the church and of GOD’s Glory. Practically speaking, in what ways can a married couple accomplish this?
4. As a group, turn to Ephesians 1:4-6, Ephesians 4:11-12. v4-6 tell us that God desires us to holy and blameless and speaks of our adoption into GOD’s family, and v11-12 speaks of our inheritance and of our hope. But each of these two passages speak to the “end goal” that GOD has in mind. As a group, read these verses and identify GOD’s purpose for these things.
5. As a group, turn to and read Colossians 3:12-17. Identify how the characteristics described by Paul in this passage could be implemented into a marriage to Glorify God?
6. Now, as a group, read Colossians 3:18-19. What is the significance of Paul mentioning the relationship of husbands and wives directly after v12-17?
7. As a group, discuss the following quote from John Piper dealing with how these things can be implemented into a marriage.
“Since Christ’s new covenant with his church is created by and sustained by blood-bought grace, therefore, human marriages are meant to showcase that new covenant grace. And the way husbands and wives showcase it is by resting in the experience of God’s grace and bending it out from a vertical experience with God into a horizontal experience with their spouse.”
The way that we can have a Gospel-centered marriage that brings GOD the most glory possible, is to focus on bending out the love, kindness, and forgiveness that we experience from GOD toward our spouses. This is exactly the type of marriage that will accurately and effectively preach that gospel to the world!